Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Japan - day 1

Arrived in Okinawa last night. Trip was fairly easy, just very long. Japan was interesting right off the bat. Watching an airport employee actually running back and forth trying to keep the line at customs was funny. No one seems to speak very good english but the guy at the monorail station helped me buy a ticket and wrote down the buses I could use to get to the hostel and also wrote down the stop in Japanese which turned out to be very helpful because all the stops were written in kanji so I had to identify the character to get off at the right place.

The hostel is very nice and has a free laundry machine and internet. The owner wasn't in when I arrived but Mari San was there to show me everything. Mari San is 32, but being Japanese looks 23 and is from Nagoya. She is in Okinawa to study working at a hostel and hopes to open her own someday. She speaks less English than I speak Japanese but with google translate we were able to talk a better part of the night. It was pretty cool drinking a few beers and than a bottle of wine and listening to music with her.

I woke and realized two things - Okinawa is hot as hell and I was hungover. Hot and humid. Hung and over. I still took a jog along the canal but it wasn't fun. After my shower Mari San woke up and now she's cooking me breakfast. So far a good trip! I think I will talk to the beach later and explore a bit. The man I'm meeting here, Banks Sensei arrives tomorrow.

More to come, I'm taking lots of pictures I'll throw up here and on Facebook soon as I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment