Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mai Nichi Ichi Nichi Ju - Every day all day long

I remember in the few weeks before I got the business back telling my employees that I'd figure something out and save the bar.  From time to time they'd ask me how things were going and I'd tell them don't worry about it, I said I'd take care of it.  It was rough, not only did I have to find an investor but I had to find someone who would keep the business as a venue, keep my employees, and still have a spot for me.  I didn't (and still don't) have any money, and my best sales pitch was "I'm pretty sure I can do this."

It was a hell of a lot pressure - I didn't want to to let my employees down and I didn't want to lose my bar.  And to make things worse even if I did get the bar back I'd still have to turn the business around and make it a profitable.

I had a few moments where I thought to myself I should just give up and let it go.  There was a buyer from New York who was ready to buy Hodi's.  I could walk away find another job and be done with it.  I'd still have some debt to pay off but I probably could find some decent work, I had a year's experience of owning and operating a bar, that should count for something right?

I stuck it out though and was able to find new partners and cash and kept the doors open.  It was a hell of a feat.  But sometimes I question whether it was worth it.  I questioned it this morning.  I was tired, sick, and sitting at the bar working on filling out forms and taking care of bills, the usual thing.  It was early and I was grumpy.

The day got better though, I confirmed a few show details, all our deliveries for the day came in early, had a good talk with one of my partners, and got to leave the bar earlier then usual.  It wasn't till I almost got home it hit me why I do what I do.  It's not fun being part of a struggling business, but it is fun making a struggling business a success.  As Truman Capote once said "Failure is the condiment that gives success it's flavor."  And we've had plenty of failure at Hodi's.  I'm due a big bite of a metaphoric hot dog covered in cheese, chile and ketchup.  And for the all the dumb, drunk, asshole customers, there are so many more who are good people just out to have a good time - a great many of whom I'm happy to see every time they come in.  Not only are there many more good customers who I enjoy seeing but they're good enough people that even if it were an equal ratio it'd still be worth working and owning Hodi's.  The same goes for our industry people - our liquor and beer reps, etc, lot of good people.

So I've got a business that I get to decide whether we fail or succeed, I drink for free (and can have a beer at work), and most of the time I enjoy the company of great customers and an equally great staff.  We have a lot of fun at work.  As bad as things can be sometimes, I got things pretty good.


So I got a business who's fate is going to be decided by me and that requires me to hang out with a bunch of very good people, and I drink for free.  Things aren't going to be easy for a very long time if ever.  But it's not that hard either.  Just got to keep at it.  One of my favorite phrases I learned in Japanese "mai nichi, ichi nichi juu" - every day all day long.  Just got to keep at it.

3 comments:

  1. not too mention your god damned good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your best post yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! Keep hammering away.

    ReplyDelete