Saturday, September 3, 2011

More from the house of Nakazato

Yesterday Mari San and I did more site seeing. We drove to another small island connected to Okinawa by a bridge. It was very pretty so we made sure to take a lot of pictures. I had hoped that after we could go to a grocery store so that I could buy something for a barbecue that the owner of the hostel(Ameku) was having with some of his family later that night. Mari San had told me that mozuku would be a good idea. Mozuku is seaweed found off the coast of Okinawa and according to Mari, Ameku loves it. While walking back to our car after seeing a local Okinawan shrine we saw a sign pointing down the ally for mozuku. We followed it and found a hunched over old lady with a big walking stick who told us to go to the house next to hers to buy the mozuku. We went next door where a nice old lady sold us some mozuku for 300 yen and before we had a chance to leave ran to her kitchen and returned with some hot cakes that she gave me as a gift.

The barbecue was pretty cool, the food was good and afterwards Banks Sensei gave a short demonstration with me serving as uke. After cleaning up Mari suggested Ameku, myself and Harada ( the other helper) go to a club in Naha. I introduced Ameku and Harada to "pre gaming" and we took a shot from a Jim Beam bottle that a previous guest had left as present. Apparently they weren't whiskey drinkers as they both coughed a bit after taking their shot. Then we grabbed a taxi and after some walking around found a club that would let us in. It turned out to be pretty to find a place that would let me in with just a drivers license and also would allow Harada in because he's only 19 and you have to be 20 to drink here. We found a club at played 70's and 80's music that was pretty cool. The cover was 20 bucks but after you got in they had a number of free drinks, so we drank a bunch of rum and cokes and tried to introduce Harada to some of the women there without much success. It turns out it was the first club he'd ever been to. We got home about 4am.

Apparently this morning Banks Sensei woke up me 3 times and I sat up and talked to him but I have no recollection. Pretty pissed I missed out on going to Nakazato's house to dig through is stuff but Banks Sensei came back with some throwing stars, ninja claws and some beautiful water color painting that Nakazato had painted. I had to take picture of all them because they were just amazing. And luckily Banks sensei plans to go back and dig through more of Nakazato's stuff the next few days so I'll be able to return with him. He mentioned there were some more shuriken there that he would like me to have.

Got to run as we've got a lot to do. Once again, more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment