Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Back to Japanese.

Met with Miho san my old Japanese tuto and studied for an hour Tuesday.  She's been trying to teach her husband a bit and he's studied any Japanese so it was a bit slow.  I didn't mind though, we worked on writing which I use to be fairly good at but apparently have forgotten a good deal.  My writing is also a bit uglier.  Was good to get back into it though.

One of the things that was interesting was that a number of Japanese words I heard training in the dojo, Miho san had never heard before!  I'm not entirely sure if it's because they've been used wrong in the dojo or if the martial arts vernacular is not well known outside of practitioners, even in Japan.

A good example is uke which typically refers to the person receiving the technique.  Miho san hadn't heard of it used as a person but was knew the verb ukeru - to receive. 

Well if it's not complicated, it's not Japanese.  Just look at chop sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment