Thursday, February 25, 2010

Why No One Answers the Phone at Hodi's


The phone rang while I was at the bar today working on some office stuff and I decided I should answer it.  Of course it was someone asking what the ticket price was for the show tomorrow.  It rang 5 minutes later and again I answered it, someone had a booking request.  Both calls were a good reminder why I usually never answer the phone.
 
Now you may think, "Quit being lazy and pick up the damn phone, help people get information."  But any good bar owner knows you spend the least amount of time in the office.  There's just too much to do so I can't be by the phone from 10-5 every day.  Thats why I have an automated message that says to go to the website for contact, show, and booking info, and please don't leave a message we don't check them.  Somehow we still get thousand messages every month with most being "Hey bra' what time does the show start tonight".  I love my customers, I love talking to my customers but please check the website.  Or Scene Magazine, we're there too.  Or the Fort Collins Coloradoan Entertainment guide.



Booking is very similar.  We get tons of emails from bands wanting to book shows.  It's hard enough to get through half of them.  The process of booking a show is bit complicated, you don't just pick up the phone and say sure that day is open go head and take it.  You have to check if the date is available which means hitting up your booking agent, check out who else is playing around town who might compete with you on a given date, and hell if you haven't heard of the band you have to find out if they have any draw and check out there myspace or website to see if they're even any good.  You'd run up a pretty big phone bill and use up a lot of time doing all this by phone.  So be more efficient with time and money we use email whenever possible.

So we still aren't running at peak efficiency, but damn it we try.  Now quit calling and check out our beautiful website at www.hodishalfnote.com for all show, booking, and contact info.  Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment